Hello, all...

I'm glad to have found this place. My interest in nihonto began when I was a little tyke back in the Pleistocene, or close to it. I was six on VJ Day and we were a happy family because my two uncles came back from the Pacific, slightly the worst for wear, but alive. One uncle was a navy officer and apparently did a lot of Navy cig trading with Marines and thus came home with several stuffed sea-bags. Two gunto, half a dozen Arasakis, and all manner of assorted "souvenirs." The gunto did it for me. I still have one of them, the other having been delivered to his son, who was a late-comer in the family and didn't know his dad as well as I did. Anyway... enough blah-blah. I am trying to learn as much as I can about Japanese blades and the Culture of the Sword. Better late than never! Thanks for having me.

Shotokan

"But did you die"...
Welcome to Katana Forum brother. It's great to have you here. The small group that exists here now are extremely knowledgeable and easily approached. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Awesome story about your Uncles, and congrats on a great piece, post some pics of it if you wish, i'd love to see it.

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you hear about Katana Forum? And if you know other Katana/Nihonto fanatics send'em over. The more the merrier.

Thanks, Shotokan. I've been reading around in the forum and oh-boy do I have a lot to learn! But that's a good thing, and I look forward to it. I will photograph that gunto when I get a chance.

I heard about the forum by Bing-ing 'Japanese sword forums.'

(PS... I am a native son of the Mildew State, born in Shreveport. Had a great-uncle that owned the Blue Bonnet Motel in Bossier City. I don't think it exists any more. Another great uncle owned a domino parlor in downtown Shreveport. A very rowdy place as I remember it, noisy with the sound of dominoes slapping on slate and the smell of beer in the air.)

Shotokan

"But did you die"...
Thanks, Shotokan. I've been reading around in the forum and oh-boy do I have a lot to learn! But that's a good thing, and I look forward to it. I will photograph that gunto when I get a chance.

I heard about the forum by Bing-ing 'Japanese sword forums.'

(PS... I am a native son of the Mildew State, born in Shreveport. Had a great-uncle that owned the Blue Bonnet Motel in Bossier City. I don't think it exists any more. Another great uncle owned a domino parlor in downtown Shreveport. A very rowdy place as I remember it, noisy with the sound of dominoes slapping on slate and the smell of beer in the air.)
Very nice. I was born over the river in S'port. I work in the LSU ER, we get numerous GSW's everyday. Still as rowdy as ever, we live in BC where it's nice and quiet.

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
Welcome! With all the sharp and pointy objects around here, we need all the medical staff we can get. ;)

Photos of the gunto?

Ouroboros

Student of Tachikaze
Staff member
Greetings O Robert,
welcome welcome welcome. It's a great place to hang a hat, sit back and have a chat, post a bit and enjoy the atmosphere. No rush for anything where I'm concerned. I'm impressed you still have an original bring-back souvenir from the pacific (somewhere down here is my grandfather's kit bag and a battlefield trophy of a bayonet). Bet there's a bottle of whisky worth of stories to be told about that guy.

Hope to catch you around the forums. I'll be updating my tsuka build blog a bit more often now that I've got some materials coming in.

Cheers and a pleasure meeting you
Ouro

verity

Amateur Togishi
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Robert! Sorry for the late welcome. I've been pretty busy lately and trying to get back to a steady pulse of checking forums