Treeslicer's Junkyard and Abused Nihonto Shelter

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
As Verity's such a deservedly hard act to follow, I think I'll do this gig in the alley behind the main stage, next to the dumpster, where they let you smoke............. :D This topic is very much under construction and experimental. Photos and commentary will appear in fits and starts. I also plan to post photos of interesting fittings in the appropriate subfora, so watch for those too.

This first series of photos is a group shot of two daisho, all nihonto. From the top, both Muromachi-era, a first-gen Ujinobu Gammaku katateuchi, and a katana of uncertain origin, then a battle-scarred Yamato katateuchi or kodachi, with a probably Yamato Senjuin katana. Please let me know how well you can see them, what uploaded is much smaller than the originals.

Attachments

• _DSF6709.jpg
    _DSF6709.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSF6710.jpg
    _DSF6710.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9
  • _DSF6711.jpg
    _DSF6711.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSF6712.jpg
    _DSF6712.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6714.jpg
    _DSF6714.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSF6713.jpg
    _DSF6713.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6715.jpg
    _DSF6715.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6716.jpg
    _DSF6716.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

Wajirou Ichisada

All I can say is that if your collection is back alley dumpster, then mine must be all the way in the sewer, under the manhole covers...near the sewage collection tank at the processing station....

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
All I can say is that if your collection is back alley dumpster, then mine must be all the way in the sewer, under the manhole covers...near the sewage collection tank at the processing station....

Thank you much, but they're very much "subway token". I've put a lot of work into them. You should have seen them when I got them from Daimyo Ltd. To encourage others to buy nihonto that need TLC, I'll note that the sum total of what I paid for the blades on the table comes to around $1300 and the tosogu on the upper two came to around $250 total, $100 of which was for the sho tsuba, which was hard to find to match the one on the dai (that tsuba auctioned for $35 including shipping).

I have cut with all 4 of these, but the one that now gets regular use is the unattributed Muromachi katana. While it cuts like a lightsaber, it was permanently messed up before I got it, by someone in Japan using an arato or binsui stone. I've cleaned up some of the damage to where the hamon peeks out (looks to be a mix of suguha and ko-gunome with ashi and yo), but I'd have to take too much off to use it if I gave it a good polish. Having a mostly "brushed" looking finish, it's safe to use. Very nice battojutsu blade with good balance and no bends or chips.

Wajirou Ichisada

True that. When looking at a nice sword as a finished and presentable blade, people don't always understand that many of them didn't start that way. Sure, you can buy a ready to go blade for $2k, or a fixer-upper for $200 and put in $1,800 worth of your fair labor time. Either way, the ultimate cost comes out the same, just one way takes cash, the other way takes time. But not everybody has the patience to learn and develop the skills to restore a sword- so they look ony at the dollar cost and get discouraged.

As for me, both my cash and time are on life-support....

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
True that. When looking at a nice sword as a finished and presentable blade, people don't always understand that many of them didn't start that way. Sure, you can buy a ready to go blade for $2k, or a fixer-upper for $200 and put in $1,800 worth of your fair labor time. Either way, the ultimate cost comes out the same, just one way takes cash, the other way takes time. But not everybody has the patience to learn and develop the skills to restore a sword- so they look ony at the dollar cost and get discouraged.

As for me, both my cash and time are on life-support....

For me, the time I invest in learning and applying the skills involved isn't a cost, it's strictly a benefit. :)

Wajirou Ichisada

If it EVER stops raining, I'll lay out my welfare state collection and take some grainy, out of focus pictures of it and post them...if for no other reason than to make everybody else feel better about their own collection.

If that bright yellow skybeast ever shows it's face again..

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
Here's some views of the new futasuji-hi blade I got from Hanbon for $160 on a "Make Offer" last month. I've fitted a falling rain habaki, a very heavy-duty tsuka with a wrap and a half of same, black leather ito over it, plain steel fuchigashira, and an antique tsuba I got from one of oltique-24's auctions on eBay for $68 including shipping. The other parts I made or put together from stuff I had in stock. I soaked the tsuka in lacquer after wrapping it, and it's as solid as a rock. I've got one saya in work, and one on order that I'll customize after it gets here. I haven't done any work on the blade yet except drilling two mekugi-ana, but am planning to improve the polish, particularly with some nugui. I've come up with a mix that seems to work on Chinese steel pretty well, that includes magnetite and chrome green mulled into 3-in-1 oil.

Attachments

• _DSF6725.jpg
    _DSF6725.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6726.jpg
    _DSF6726.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSF6728.jpg
    _DSF6728.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6729.jpg
    _DSF6729.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSF6730.jpg
    _DSF6730.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSF6731.jpg
    _DSF6731.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSF6732.jpg
    _DSF6732.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSF6733.jpg
    _DSF6733.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 7

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
Nice hamon for a buck sixty....

Yep. It's folded steel with an interesting hada and lots of activity, which will show better after I've done some polishing. What surprised the dickens out of me is the geometric yokote, and some turnback in the boshi. The nakago (which I will eventually add a picture of) is also decently finished, with oriented yasurime. I figure they made several backups for a custom order, and I got sent one, thank God. The stock pics on the ad were good, but not this good. I just wanted a futasuji-hi blade to play with.

verity

Amateur Togishi
Staff member
Awww. Back alley huh? No way. These are beauties!

Treeslicer

Amateur Professional
Awww. Back alley huh? No way. These are beauties!

Thanks!! That nice comment is very deeply appreciated. It's hard to see in the photos because of the angle, but the Hanbon blade has an elegant taper to it with some actual fumbari. I plan to post some more with nice hamon and hataraki, and close-ups of some already up there.

Ouroboros

Student of Tachikaze
Staff member
Beautiful! The quality of the artistry is very nice...now if I had 50k for some of what's on that site. Woooo
Ouro

Ouroboros

Student of Tachikaze
Staff member
You have some very nice blades and the quality of the production pieces is very pleasing to my eye. One thing I'd love to get some input on is blade treatment using different oils/agents.
wow...again :D
Ouro